I love baking and decorating sugar cookies, and I think this is the best recipe out there! It makes about 36 medium sized cookies. Follow the instructions carefully!
Also see the recipe for royal icing below. It’s the best for decorating your cookies!
Classic Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter unsalted is best for baking
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cream the butter and the sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla and cream to the creamed butter and sugar and mix unitl smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix only until combined. Do not over mix!
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Refrigerate the rolled out dough for at least one hour. (Cover with parchment paper)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cut out cookies from chilled dough.
- Place cookies about an inch apart on a baking pan (either lightly grease the pan or use parchment paper) and bake for 12-14 minutes. Cookies will be done when the bottom and edges are light brown. Let cool before decorating with royal icing!
For decorating your sugar cookies, royal icing is best. This icing recipe will make just enough to decorate the cookies made in the recipe above. It’s pretty simple and delicious!
Royal Icing Recipe
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tbsp meringue powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp clear vanilla may be replaced with 3 tbsp of water
- Beat all ingredients at a low speed for 7-10 minutes.
- Add water to thin if necessary.
- As noted above, you may omit the vanilla and use 6 tbsp of water instead.
- If using vanilla, make sure it's clear vanilla
- Use thicker icing for piping cookies. Thin with water to flood cookies.
Here are some helpful tools: